Prayer Pointers
“...Behold, he prayeth.”
Acts 9:11
Saul, just knocked down on the road to Damascus,
physically blinded but spiritually alert, did not have to take a course in New
Testament praying before he could pray.
He is found immediately on Strait Street with his life straightened out
and praying. As you read the Epistles
you see that Paul became a great prayer warrior.
In this lesson we want to look at some “Prayer Pointers” that will help
strengthen our prayer lives and will help us become prayer warriors affecting
the world.
Prayer Positions
Sitting Acts
2:2;Luke 10:13
Kneeling Acts 9:40; Ezra 9:5; Daniel
6:10;Acts 20:36; Acts 21:5
Bowing Psalm 95:6; Exodus
34:8
Prostrate 2 Samuel 12:16; Matt.26:39
Standing Mark 11:25
Walking Genesis 13:17
Lying
on Bed Psalm 63:6
When To Pray
Early
Morning Psalm 63:1; Mark
1:35
Morning Acts 10:9; Psalm
5:3; 88:13
Noon Acts
10:30
Evening Psalm 55:17; Matt.
26:38-41; Matt.
14:23
Midnight Acts 16:25
Day and Night 1 Timothy 5:5; 2 Timothy 1:3
All Night Luke
6:12
Multiple Times Psalm 55:17; Daniel
6:10
Unceasingly 1 Thess. 5:17
Always Luke 18:1
“Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry
aloud: and he shall hear my voice.”
(Psalm 55:17)
As you develop your prayer life and personal prayer
ministry, you should look for prayer opportunities. When someone mentions a
need to you and asks you to pray, why not respond, “Yes I will pray about that. In
fact, why don’t we pray about it right now.”
Thetus Tenney says, “an
immediate prayer at the time of a confessed need can be very effective.” Jesus prayed this way. He met people with needs and asked them “What do you need?” He then prayed for them and they had their
healing or miracle immediately.
Where to Pray
In the Church Mark11: 17; Acts 22:17
In
the House Daniel 6:10;
Acts 9:39-40;Acts 10:30
In the Street Acts 16:18
Going to Church Acts 3:1
Prayer Closet Matt. 6:6
Housetop Acts 10:9
Wilderness/Forest Luke 5:16
Garden Matt. 26:38-41
Solitary Place Mark 1:35; Luke 9:18
Mountain Matt. 14:23; Mark 6:46; Luke
6:12; 9:28
In Jail Acts 16:25
Waterside Acts
16:13
Anywhere 1 Timothy 2:8
Everywhere Ephesians
6:18
How To Pray
“Here’s
what I want you to do. Find a quiet,
secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you
can manage. The focus will shift from
you to God, and you will begin to sense His grace. The world is full of so-called prayer
warriors who are prayer-ignorant.
They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques
for getting what you want from God.
Don’t fall for that nonsense.
This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you
what you need. With a God like this
loving you, you can pray very simply.”(The Message, Matthew 6)
Levels of Prayer
Ask Petition/Requests
Results “you shall receive”
Seek Devotion
Results “you shall find”
Knock Intercession
Results “door will be opened”
Into the Day
I got up early one morning
And rushed right into the day;
I had so much to accomplish
I didn’t have time to pray.
Troubles just tumbled about me
And heavier came each task.
Why doesn’t God help me, I wondered,
He answered “You didn’t ask.”
I tried to come into God’s presence.
I used all my keys at the lock.
God gently and lovingly chided,
‘Why child, you didn’t knock.”
I wanted to see joy and beauty.
But the day toiled on grey and bleak.
I called on the Lord for the reason-
He said, “You didn’t seek.”
I woke up this morning
And paused before entering the day.
I had so much to accomplish
That I had to take time to pray.
(Author Unknown)
David Bryant, founder and president of Concerts of Prayer International
suggests six portions of prayer.
Prayer Portions
Rejoice Worship and Praise
Repent Confession of Sin
Resist Battle
Satan and forces
Request Ask and Intercession
Recommit Yield ourselves to God
Receive Listen for God to speak
Jesus asked a penetrating question after teaching on
the subject of prayer. He inquired, “…When the Son of man cometh, shall he find
faith on the earth?” (Luke 18:8) He was asking, “When I return, will there
be faith or won’t there? Will people
still be praying and trusting God in faith?
What type of world will I find; a world filled with sin or a world
filled with the power of God? What is
going to be happening in your country? What will it be like where you
minister?” Jesus’ question comes immediately after his parable on prayer that
began with “…men ought always to pray,
and not to faint.” (Luke 18:1) Lots of us make commitments to pray and
it lasts for some time and then we give up.
If we would persist in prayer we could make a difference in our lives
and the world that we live in.
The church will not have growth and revival without
a large and consistent prayer ministry base.
What was the cause of David winning the battle? One phrase keeps recurring in David’s life; “and David inquired of the Lord.” (1 Samuel
23:2,4) What was the cause of Joshua being deceived by the Gibeonites that
came to him dressed like they had come on a long journey? His failure was
because he “...asked not counsel at the
mouth of the Lord.” (Joshua 9:14) How will you be successful in the battle?
“What, could you not watch with
me one hour? Watch and Pray.”
(Matthew 26:40)
No comments:
Post a Comment