He Gave All He Had
“...But such as I have Give I thee...”
(Acts 3:6)
Peter and John, on their way to pray, met a lame man begging
for money. Peter said, “I
don’t have any money to my name, but what I do have, I give to you. In the name of Jesus rise up and walk!” What is interesting about this story is
that Peter didn’t just stop at, “I don’t
have any money.” He gave what he had to give. As a result of his willingness to give, the
lame man was healed, and gave a testimony in the church.
“And she brought
forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in
a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.” (Luke 2:7)
The story is often told of Mary and Joseph making the long
journey to Bethlehem for the census.
Mary and Joseph are turned away by an innkeeper who proclaims, “There
is no room for you in the Inn.”
Songs have been written about this, and messages preached. As the Innkeeper turns the couple away, he
remembers that he has a stable, and offers for them to stay there. The Innkeeper is blamed for being insensitive
to Mary’s condition and not being able to discern that it was the King of Kings
that would be born in that stable.
However, there is another aspect.
He could have sent the family away from his premises all together. But, when he saw Mary’s condition and
assessed the situation, he offered the only available space in his inn - a
stable. The Innkeeper’s suggested
response reminds us that:
God never requires anything more from us, than what we are
able to give.
How often have we declined to offer what we had because we
didn’t think it was good enough? He can
take our little and make it grow just by His touch. One man has said, “Little is much when the Master
is in it.” How many times have you failed to give what you had because you
did not feel it was enough? Even in
areas of financial giving, be reminded that if you can’t do something BIG, why not do something SMALL?
If we all would give a LITTLE then
a LOT would be accomplished. Don’t do NOTHING
just because you can’t do EVERYTHING. And when it comes to you, God only expects
you to give what you have. The few
talents that you have when yielded to the Lord Jesus can accomplish much. You may feel that you are not rich enough,
talented enough, or smart enough to be used of the Lord. Put these feelings aside, surrender yourself
to God, and tell the devil, “I can do
all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (Philippians 4:13) In the “Parable of Talents” mentioned in Matthew 25:14-30 everyone was given
talents “according to his several
ability.” (Verse 15). Not all had the same amount of talents but
those who used theirs received more. The
man who did not use his talent had it taken away from him and given to another. It has been said, “If you don’t use it; you lose it!”
“But God hath
chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath
chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are
mighty.” (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Isaiah identified himself as a man that was undone, a man of
unclean lips and living in the midst of people of unclean lips. After being touched by God, God looked for a
man to send and Isaiah responded “Here
am I; send me.” (Isaiah 6:5-8)
What would have happened if the boy with the lunch
said, “I have some bread and a couple of fish; but what are they among so
many”? (John 6:9) What would have
been the rest of the story if he had insisted,
“I have a little lunch but I’m
not going to make it available. I can’t
go hungry”? Instead he gave what he
had and a miracle of supply took place; thousands were fed.
What would have happened if Joseph had said, “I’m just a carpenter. The Messiah cannot be born into my home. I couldn’t possibly take care of him?”
Moses said, “Who am I,
that I should go unto Pharaoh?” (Exodus
3: 11)
“...Lord, I am not
eloquent...but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.” (Exodus 4:10)
Finally Moses submitted and succeeded in leading the people out of
Egypt. He became a great leader. He gave
what he had!
Jeremiah said, “Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak: for I am a
child.” (Jeremiah 1:6) He finally yielded to the will of God and
gave what he had!
Jesus observed people giving in the offering one day. Rich people cast in much money. Along came a widow lady who threw in two
mites. He called his disciples and said,
“This poor widow hath cast more in, than all
they which have cast into the treasury: For all they did cast in of their
abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all
her living.” (Mark 12:43-44)
How often have you approached the offering basket or had it
passed to you and you have been embarrassed at how little you had to give. Jesus only expects us to give what we have to
give.
Peter confessed in Luke 18:28 that the disciples had “left all” to follow Jesus. Jesus then comments that those who have left
all will “receive manifold more in this
present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.” (Matthew 18:30)
Missionaries in Africa are often amazed with all the
varieties of gifts that people can bring to a thanksgiving or harvest
service. They are so honored with all
the gifts the precious saints bring when they visit their churches. In both cases, there could be eggs, live
chickens, vegetables, yams, goats, fruits, etc.
One missionary tells of a thanksgiving service where many
gifts had been delivered including a huge basket. When it looked like all of the gifts had been
given, the pastor prepared to go on with the service. He paused as a skinny, frail old man made his
way to the front of the church.
Empty-handed he went to the large woven basket and climbed inside. With no offering to bring the man had decided
to give the only thing he had - himself.
Giving ourselves is the most important gift that we can bring to the
Lord. It is the gift of gifts.
A story entitled “For
Always” by Will Fish, relates
the activities of two teachers working in an orphanage in Russia. One day they were doing an art project with
the children. Three small pieces of
cardboard were given to each of the 100 children and they were to make a
manger. Each child was given a small
piece of cloth to make a little baby. As
one of the teachers inspected the project he found a little boy finished with
the task. As he looked into the little
cradle he was startled to see two babies in the manger. When asked to explain why the two babies were
in the manger the child began to repeat the story of Mary and Joseph and the
baby Jesus in the manger. He began to
make up his own ending for the story. “And
when Mary laid the baby in the manger, Jesus looked at me and asked if I had a
place to stay. I told him I have no mama
and I have no papa, so I don’t have a place to stay. Then Jesus told me I could stay with
him. But I told him I couldn’t, because
I didn’t have a gift to give him...I wanted to stay with Jesus so much, so I
thought about what I had that maybe I could use for a gift. I thought maybe if
I could keep him warm, that would be a good gift. So I asked Jesus, ‘If I keep you warm, will
that be a good enough gift?’ And Jesus
told me; ‘If you keep me warm, that will be the best gift anybody ever gave
me.’ So I got into the manger, and then
Jesus looked at me and he told me I could stay with him - for always. As Misha
finished his story, his eyes brimmed full of tears that splashed down his
little cheeks...The little orphan had found someone who would never abandon or
abuse him, someone who would stay with him-FOR ALWAYS!”
When we sing, “I
Surrender All!” we are giving our greatest gift, ourselves, and we can stay
with Jesus- FOR ALWAYS!”
If You Do This...
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of
God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God,
which is your reasonable service.”
(Romans 12:1)
Jesus Will Do This...
“...Observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:
and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.” (Matthew 28:20)
“What can I give Him, Poor as I
am?
If I were a shepherd, I would
bring a lamb;
If I were a wise man, I would
do my part;
Yet what can I give Him?
Give Him my heart.”
(C. Rossetti)
No comments:
Post a Comment